CURRICULUM VITAE OF JUKKA PUMPANEN December 17, 2013
August 1, 2009-31.7.2014 Academy Research Fellow, Academy of Finland, full time position
Previous professional appointments:
- April 1, 2009-July 31 2009, Acting university lecturer in forest soil science, University of Helsinki
- August 1, 2008-March 31, 2009 Post doctoral researcher and coordinator of soil measurements in the research unit of "Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Atmospheric Composition and Climate Change" at the University of Helsinki. The unit belongs to the Academy of Finland National Centres of Excellence-program.
- August 1, 2005 - July 31, 2008 Academy of Finland post doctoral researcher and coordinator of soil measurements in the research unit of "Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Atmospheric Composition and Climate Change"
- January 1, 2003 - July 31, 2005, University of Helsinki Department of Forest Ecology, Project researcher in the research unit of "Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Atmospheric Composition and Climate Change"
- January 1, 1999 - December 31, 2002, University of Helsinki Department of Forest Ecology, Researcher and PhD student in the Graduate School of Forest Sciences
- January 1, 1997 - December 31, 1998, University of Helsinki Department of Forest Ecology, Research fellow and PhD student
- May 1, 1995 - November 30, 1996, University of Helsinki Department of Forest Ecology, Research assistant at Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station
- May 1, 1994 - October 31, 1994, University of Helsinki Department of Forest Ecology, Research assistant
- May 1, 1993 - September 30, 1993, University of Helsinki Department of Forest Ecology, Research assistant
- May 1 - 31, 1992, Foundation for tree breeding, Trainee
- June 1 - August 31, 1992, Staatliches Forstamt Welzheim, Germany, Trainee
- December 9 - 20, 1992, Finnish postal service, Postman
- October 11, 1988 - September 5, 1989, Military service
- June 1 - July 17, 1987, Sodankylän metsänhoitoyhdistys, Thinning of tree stands and planting
- February 7, 2008, Docent in Forest Soil Science, University of Helsinki
- January 14, 2004, Doctor in Agriculture and Forestry, University of Helsinki(PhD thesis title: CO2 efflux from boreal forest soil before and after clear-cutting and site preparation)
- February 22, 1996, MSc in Agriculture and Forestry, University of Helsinki (MSc thesis title: Temporal and spatial variation in soil water content and DOC concentration in podzolized forest soil)
- May 31, 1988, Matriculation examination, Helsinki
Complementary education and courses:
- April 23, 2013, University pedagogy course, University of Helsinki. YP3 Academic supervising (5 credits)
- January 31, 2013, University pedagogy courses University of Helsinki: YP1 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (5 ECT credits), YP2 Constructive alignment in course design (5 ECT credits).
- October 12, 2007 – January 11, 2008, Leadership training program University of Helsinki
- May 17 2004, Isotope techniques course lectures (5 ECT credits) and isotope laboratory work (4 ECT credits) University of Helsinki. License to use radioactive isotopes and external radiation sources in experimental work (Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority Finland).
- November 2000, Approbatur degree in computer science, Java programming language, SQL-database, program designing (30 ECT credits), University of Helsinki.
Academic awards and honours:
1995 Awarded master’s thesis in the Faculty of Forestry and Agriculture
Major research funding:
- Academy of Finland Recovery of soil carbon and nitrogen pools following forest fires and changes in soil carbon turnover (RECANIFIRE) 1.1.2011-31.12.2010. Budget 14000 euro. Grant for inviting Dr. Kajar Köster from Estonia for a research visit in Finland.
- Academy of Finland Effect of fast cycling carbon on the decomposition of old soil organic matter (FASTCARBON) 1.8.2009-31.7.2014. Budget 608690 euro.
- University of Helsinki: Metsien ja vesistöjen välinen epäorgaanisen hiilen vaihto; Akvaattisten systeemien merkitys alueellisissa hiilitaseissa (Vesihiisi). In English: Exchange of inorganic carbon between forests and water bodies; Role of aquatic systems in regional scale carbon balance. 1.1. 2009-31.12. 2011. Budget 120000 euro.
- Academy of Finland Project: Transfer of terrestrial carbon into the atmosphere through stream and river ecosystems (TRANSCARBO) in co-operation with Dr. Anne Ojala, Lammi Biological station and Pirkko Kortelainen, Finnish Environment Institute. 1.1.2007 - 31.12. 2010. Total budget 373620 euro of which Dr Pumpanen's share is 25%.
- Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation TEKES, Vaisala Oyj and University of Helsinki research agreement 34238: Applications of NDIR-gas measurement technology on carbon dioxide measurements in ecology and environmental technology. 1.10. 2005 - 31.12. 2006. Budget 35789 euro.
- Academy of Finland project: Contribution of fast cycling carbon to the carbon balance of boreal forest soils; implications of clear-cutting. 1.8. 2005 - 31.7. 2008. Budget 156090 euro.
Other academic and professional activities:
Supervisor of Ph. D. theses:
- Lindén Aki 2010- Effect of recent photynthate on the mineralization of carbon and nitrogen in boreal forest (in collaboration with Jussi Heinonsalo)
- Miettinen Heli 2012- Lateral transport of greenhouse gases at Lake Kuivajärvi catchment (In co-operation with Anne Ojala)
- Rasilo Terhi 2008-2012 Connecting silvan and lacustrine ecosystems : transport of carbon from forests to adjacent water bodies (in collaboration with Anne Ojala)
- Aaltonen Hermanni 2008-2012 Boreal forest soil as a source of BVOC emissions (in collaboration with with Jaana Bäck, Timo Vesala and Mari Pihlatie)
- Korhonen Janne 2008- Role of recent photosynthate in the nitrogen uptake of Scots pine (in collaboration with with Timo Vesala, Eero Nikinmaa and Mari Pihlatie)
- Kulmala Liisa 2006-2010. The effect of trees on species composition and carbon assimilation capacity of ground vegetation (in collaboration with Pertti Hari and Timo Vesala)
- Member of PhD student’s follow up group in 2010- for Syed Ashraful Alam in the graduate school of forest sciences
Supervisor of M. Sc. thesis:
- Lepistö Tanja 2008 Kasvillisuuden vaikutus maahengitykseen sekä juuri- ja ritsosfäärihengityksen osuus maan kokonaishengityksestä (in collaboration with Hannu Ilvesniemi).
- Rasilo Terhi 2008 Maahengitys metsänrajaseudulla Itä-Lapissa
- Kulmala Liisa 2005. Pintakasvillisuuden hiilensidonta, tutkimus tyypillisimpien pintakasvilajien hiilensidontanopeuksien määrittämisestä ja soveltamisesta nuoren kasvatusmännikön pintakasvillisuuteen. Helsingin yliopisto Metsäekologian laitos. (in collaboration with with Pertti Hari)
- Kuusisto Katri 2002 Maaperän hiilidioksidivirtaukset ja niihin vaikuttavat ympäristötekijät. Helsingin yliopisto Bio- ja ympäristötieteiden laitos. (in collaboration with Hannu Ilvesniemi)
- Turunen Sanni 2009- Planktonlevien fotosynteesin valovasteen mittaus 14C-leimausmenetelmällä ja nopeavasteisella NDIR CO2-sensoritekniikkaa käyttäen (in collaboration with Anne Ojala)
- Sjöblom Heidi 2010-2012 Hyytiälän Kuivajärven ulapan biogeeniset VOC-yhdisteet (in collaboration with Anne Ojala and Jaana Bäck)
- Bäcklund Kirsi 2012 Ektomykorritsojen proteaasintuotto ja proteaasiaktiivisuuksien vuodenaikaisvaihtelu metsämaassa (in co-operation with Jussi Heinonsalo and Annele Hatakka)
- Mäki Mari 2012-2013 Millainen kantava kasvualusta edistää parhaiten katupuiden sopeutumista vaihteleviin ympäristöolosuhteisiin? (in co-operation with Anu Riikonen)
- Principal organizer of the 1st NordSIR meeting 25.-27.10. 2010 at Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station in Finland.
- August 19 - August 30, 2013. Teacher at the Field Course on Ecology YMP207 (5 credits), University of Helsinki Department of Environmental Sciences
- September 2012. Lecturer at the course Stable Isotopes in Environmental Research (SIER 2012) Course for PhD students 9.-15.2012 University of Eastern Finland.
- August 27-September 7, 2012. Teacher at the Field Course on Ecology YMP207 (5 credits), University of Helsinki Department of Environmental Sciences
- September 15-16, 2011 Summer school on Flux measurement techniques: methods, sensors, databases and modelling, COST ES0804, Tuczno castle, Poland. “Measuring soil respiration in the field – different chamber designs and methods”
- April 1-July 31, 2009 Acting university lecturer in forest soil science at the department of Forest Ecology
- May 7-12, 2007, teacher during the Marie Curie iLEAPS course "Integrated measurements over land ecosystem atmosphere boundaries" University of Helsinki, Hyytiälä field station, Finland
- 2007, Lecturer on course "Metsämaa ja sen hoidon menetelmät (Forest soil and its treatment methods) ME312 2 hours
- 2004, 2005,. 2006, 2007, 2008, Lecturer on course "Biogeochemistry of boreal forest ecosystems and soils" (ME413), 4 × 2 hours, University of Helsinki
- Lecturer in ESF Summer school -Integrated methodology on soil carbon flux measurements, Centro di Ecologia Alpina, Monte Bondone, Italy, September 12-24, 2004
- June 2 - 13, 2003, Assistant teacher in Forest micrometeorology course (ME205), 20 hours, University of Helsinki
- 2003 Lecturer on course "Metsämaiden ominaisuudet, prosessit ja kasvupaikkojen luokittelu (Forest soil properties, processes and classification of forest site types)" (ME 102) 2 hours
Duties as a scientific expert:
- February 1, 2008- present Assisting scientific editor in Silva Fennica and in Metsätieteen aikakauskirja journals (published by the Finnish Society of Forest Sciences
- 2013 reviewer in Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Boreal Environment Research, Journal of Geophysical Research, Plant and Soil, Silva Fennica, Tree Physiology
- 2012 reviewer in Boreal Environment Research, Journal of Geophysical Research, Scandinavian Journal of Forest Sciences, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Tree Physiology, Water Air and Soil Pollution
- 2011 reviewer in Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Journal of Geophysical Research, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Tree Physiology, Vadoze Zone Journal
- 2010 reviewer in Silva Fennica 3 times, Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, Forest Ecology and Management, Journal of Geophysical Research,
- 2009 reviewer in Boreal Environment Research 2 times, Global Change Biology 2 times, Silva Fennica 3 times, Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, Talanta, Member of the evaluation panel of the Helsinki university 3-year research grants
- 2008 reviewer in Silva Fennica 2 times, Canadian Journal of Forest Research and Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 2 times
- 2007 reviewer in Global Change Biology 3 times, Biogeosciences, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, and Plant and Soil. In addition, a reviewer in a grant application for Innovational Research Incentives Scheme NWO, Netherlands.
- 2006 reviewer in Boreal Environment Research
- 2005 reviewer in Global Change Biology, Annals of Forest Science and Canadian Journal of Forest Research
- 2004 reviewer in Soil Science Society of America Journal, Division S-1: Soil Physics division
Research visits abroad:
- June 24 – July 5, 2013, Research visit to University of Innsbruck Institute of Ecology, Innsbruck, Austria.
- April 19 - May 1, 2013, Research visit Shanghai Jiao Tong University and Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu Institute of Mountain Environment and Hazards, China.
- October 29-November 2, 2012, Research visit to Czech Globe Institute, Brno, Czech Republic
- July 2-12, 2012, Research visit to University of Hyogo and University of Kyoto. Japan
- September 16 - December 8, 2006, Visiting scientist, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zürich), Switzerland
- September 12 - 24, 2004, ESF Summer school-Integrated methodology on soil carbon flux measurements, Centro di Ecologia Alpina, Monte Bondone, Italy. Lecturer
- June 30 - July 4, 1997, Workshop on “Methods for Measurements of Soil Respiration”. Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewer in MSc and PhD thesis:
- 2008 MSc thesis of Saara Swanson at the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences Faculty of Biosciences
- 2010 PhD thesis of Marko Lallo at the Department of Physics. Thesis title: Hydrogen deposition and atmospheric relations in boreal zone
- 2011 PhD thesis of Michael Schmitt at the University of Innsbruck, Controls on the net ecosystem CO2 exchange and its components in mountain grasslands differing in land use
Memberships in professional organizations:
- Member of the Finnish Society of Forest Sciences
- Member of the management committee in COST action ES0806 "Stable Isotopes in Biosphere-Atmosphere-Earth System Research (SIBAE)” 2009-2013.
- Member of coordination group in Nordic Network for Stable Isotope Research (NordSIR) funded by Nordforsk 2010-2013.
- Member of the docent union of the university of Helsinki (Helsingin yliopiston dosenttiyhdistys)
- Deputy member of the department council at the Department of Forest Sciences 1.1.2010-31.12.2014
- Member of the department council at the Department of Forest Sciences 1.1.2014-
- Deputy member of the committee of the Instrument Centre of the faculty of Agriculture and Forestry of the University of Helsinki 1.5.2010-31.12.2013